Kurt Busch Indefinitely Suspended
NASCAR announced Friday evening that @KurtBusch has been suspended indefinitely, citing the driver to be in violation of:
- Section 12.1.a: Actions detrimental to stock car racing
- Section 12.8:Behavioral Penalty
This announcement comes after Busch’s ex-girlfriend, Patricia Driscoll, was successfully granted a protection from abuse order.
“Given the serious nature of the findings and conclusions made by the Commissioner of the Family Court of the State of Delaware, NASCAR has indefinitely suspended driver Kurt Busch, effective immediately. He will not be allowed to race nor participate in any NASCAR activities until further notice,” NASCAR said in a statement.
“Kurt Busch and his Stewart-Haas Racing team are fully aware of our position and why this decision was made. We will continue to respect the process and timetable of the authorities involved.”
Supplemental findings and opinions from the protective order announced the court was satisfied that the evidence presented during the hearing established that it is “more likely than not” that Busch committed abuse. It goes on to say he committed this abuse by manually strangling Driscoll.
It was also announced that Chevrolet will indefinitely suspend their relationship with Busch, effective immediately.
“We will continue to monitor the events surrounding Mr. Busch and are prepared to take additional action if necessary,” said Jim Campbell, Chevrolet Vice President of Motorsports and Performance Vehicles.
Said Joe Custer of Stewart-Haas Racing, “We understand NASCAR’s position regarding Kurt Busch and accept their decision. We are in the midst of finalizing our plans for the Daytona
500 and we will announce those details as soon as we’re ready.”
Last week during NASCAR’s Media Day, Stewart-Haas Racing announced it has a contingency plan in place for Busch if needed. That plan is now in action, as it is rumored that @ReganSmith will be in the No. 41 Haas Chevy for the Daytona 500.
As far as next steps for Busch, NASCAR said he can appeal its decision and that the process will be expedited if he chooses to do so.
UPDATED: Busch’s Attorney Responds: “We are extremely disappointed that NASCAR has suspended Kurt Busch and we plan an immediate appeal,” said Rusty Hardin. “We assure everyone, including NASCAR, that this action against Mr. Busch will turn out to be a travesty of justice, apparent to all, as this story continues to unfold.”
“We are confident that if the Commissioner agrees to hear newly available evidence that contradicts the testimony of Ms. Driscoll, he will be able understand the actions of that night as well as Ms. Driscoll’s character and motivations and reconsider his judgment. He has already found that Ms. Driscoll lied under oath at least once. Our newly available evidence will make it clear that much more of her testimony was untruthful and was purposefully kept from the Commissioner by Ms. Driscoll’s attempts to intimidate and threaten witnesses. ”
“It is important for everyone to remember that the Commissioner’s report has to do with a civil, family law matter and no criminal charges have been filed against Mr. Busch.”
“We ask everyone’s patience as this case continues in the court of law and are confident that when the truth is known Mr. Busch will be fully vindicated and back in the driver’s seat.”
This story continues to develop, stay tuned to POPULAR SPEED for the latest updates.
EMAIL KAYLA AT firstname.lastname@example.org
FOLLOW KAYLA ON TWITTER: @kayla_darrow